DIY Lavender Infused Vinegar Cleaner


Because I'm an asthmatic, I'm always looking for cleaners without strong chemicals. I got this idea from someone on Pinterest who was making orange cleaner from orange peels. I've experimented with orange peels and even added cinnamon sticks to the mix.  However, once I experimented with lavender, I hit the jackpot!  This infusion really smells like lavender despite it's infused with vinegar, but most importantly, it works!! The orange cleaner worked fine on counter-tops and floors, but smeared glass and mirrors. Maybe it was from oils in the orange peel? Anyway, I certainly hit the jackpot on this one. It's the only one I make now!

INGREDIENTS:

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Fill jar 1/3 to 1/2 way with lavender buds. 
  2. Fill rest of jar with warm (not hot) vinegar. 
  3. Cap jar and store in dark place 4-6 weeks. 
  4. Shake at least one time weekly. I stored my jar in my laundry room. That way, every time I did a load of clothes, I shook the jar. 
  5. After 4-6 weeks, strain the lavender out, and you are left with your concentrated cleaner. 
  6. Pour 1 part lavender solution into an empty spray bottle. 
  7. Pour 3 parts water and it is ready to use on most any surface. (Always test in an inconspicuous spot before using, as vinegar doesn't always agree with every surface)
*The longer you wait before draining the lavender buds, the stronger the lavender smell will be for your cleaner. If after 4-6 weeks, your concentrate smells more like vinegar than lavender, close the lid and wait a week more. Just remember to keep shaking it.  

Notes: 
Great for tile, vinyl, and wood floors, windows, mirrors, counter tops, and even fabric softener. However, for the time it takes to make this stuff, it goes too fast using it as fabric softener.  I've thought of using it "occasionally" on a load of sheets for a relaxing aroma conducive to sleep.  


No comments:

Post a Comment